Types Of Game
- Be able to describe the different genres of computer game.
- Based on reaction speed of players.
- Pacman, Tetris, Breakout, Space Invaders.
- Usually 2D graphics is enough.
- Based on clever thinking and problem-solving.
- Board games, sliding puzzles, mazes.
- Sometimes a computer opponent needs to be designed as well.
Role Playing Games (RPG)
- The player steers a character through a dangerous world.
- These games usually have a strong story and the character learns or acquires new skills as the game progresses.
- Players set out strategies for the game but have less direct control over game resources.
- Age of Empires, Caesar, Command & Conquer
- Players build an empire by managing cities, parks, railroads etc.
- Sometimes called GOD games.
- SIM City, Theme Park
- How the player manages the resources is the most important element of these games.
- Usually controlled with the mouse. Players point and click to interact with the game world and work out puzzles.
- Simon The Sorcerer, Monkey Island.
- The story is the most important part of the game.
First Person Shooters
- Like 3D versions of arcade games. Fast-paced games based on reaction speed and hand-eye coordination.
- Doom, Quake
- Where an existing sport is simulated.
- A lot of thought goes into making the game play work.
- Like Flight Simulators, the aim is to give the user the most realistic experience possible.
- Usually based on how the thing being simulated works in real life.
- A cross between a Sports game and a Simulator.
- Some racing games, like, for example, many Formula-1 games, try to model the driving of a car as realistic as possible.
- Other games are more arcade style and make racing very easy